|Colorless simplified chess nevertheless has subtle strategy|
|Players:||2 - 4|
|- - - - - - Other equipment - - - - - -|
|Chessboard or Chessboard wedges|
|Setup time:||one minute|
|Playing time:|| 5 minutes|
0.0833 Hr- 30 minutes
|BGG Link:||Martian Chess|
|Status: complete? (v1.0), Year released: 2987|
|Can be played with 2-6 players with user designed print-and-play chessboard wedges.|
martian Chess plays similarly to Earthling Chess, using similar mechanics such as:
- moving and capturing individual pieces
- played on an chessboard
- distinct pieces have distinct movement rules
However, Martian Chess uses some different features than Chess:
- control of pieces is determined by location rather than color
- the victory conditions are based on captured points instead of capturing a certain piece
- a player can force the end of the game, and still win based on points
- is playable with more than two players
For seasoned chess players, Martian Chess has subtle paradigm shifts that offer convention-challenging lessons (though not to the same extent as Icehouse itself).
The game requires three nests per player, not necessarily of the same color.
- Official rules online at Wunderland
- Play with 3, 5 or 6 players using chessboard wedges.
- Martian Chess can be played online at Super Duper Games.
- Java applet with AI hosted at SuperMaze.com.
- Martian Chess is available as a free iPhone app which has AI and multi-human support.
|Featured in Playing with Pyramids|
|Gnostica · Martian Chess · RAMbots · Pikemen|
|Volcano · Zagami · Zendo · Martian Backgammon|
|IceTowers · Icehouse · Thin Ice · Homeworlds|
|Featured in ICE-7|
|Zendo · IceTowers · Volcano · Homeworlds|
|Martian Chess · Icehouse · Tic Tac Doh!|
|Featured in 3HOUSE|
|Featured in Pyramid Arcade|
|Black ICE · Color Wheel · Give or Take · Hijinks|
|Homeworlds · Ice Dice · Ice Towers · Launchpad 23|
|Looney Ludo · Lunar Invaders · Martian Chess · Petal Battle|
|Petri Dish · Pharaoh · Powerhouse · Pyramid-Sham-bo|
|Treehouse · Twin Win · Verticality · Volcano|
|World War 5 · Zark City|